June 16, 2006

I Give Up

Yes, I know, I missed another Tuesday. This time I knew it was Tuesday and I did notice it go by... but I had worked all day and didn't feel like being creative, so I wasn't. Therefore, no musical musings from this week. So instead of a reliably regular feature, it will be less so.

I am now an official casual, which means I still don't know what I'm doing but they believe the best training comes by being thrown in the pool. And we all know what a good swimmer I am! I could be called in at a moment's notice, and I was hoping I might hear something today, but it didn't happen.

This job is remarkably "easy" in that there seem to be a number of down times and you don't have to keep the kids in constant supervision where it's not a lock-down facility. Of course, it can get busy, such as when there are a number of intakes and when the kids decide to be unruly and throw rocks at the neighbours at 1 o'clock in the morning...

It's not easy in the respect that it is an emergency placement for at-risk kids, and being at-risk means you come with a lot of baggage. Youth Care Workers lean more towards being parental-like than being a police kind of job like I was doing.

Well, I must free up the phone line. Have a wonderful day.

No comments: