August 26, 2005

Quest!

I'm just doing a quick update from Quest in Moncton, NB. The church here has wireless, so I'm currently sitting in the gym listening to the band warm up and waiting for the next session to start. Tonight is the joint rally with adult convention (joint as in combined, not marijuana... I know what you were thinking).

It's been a great couple of days, but some things have really concerned me. This event is designed for youth who have shown leadership potential in their groups. It's not really designed for everyone and is meant as a youth leadership training weekend. In my small group, and the others have noticed the same thing, very few youth have expessed any interest in living a life modeled after Jesus. What I mean is most of the youth we've talked to are OK with doing whatever their friends do, anything goes!

That's not really unusual in an average youth group, but these teens are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow (sorry for the cliche). I'm not sure where the problem is... it's likely at the youth group level. We need to do something about it. It's not OK to get drunk, do drugs, sleep around...

We're called to be in the world but not of the world. Time to make that distinction more clear, I think.

I better get going, things are going to start any minute. But I'm sure I'll have more to say in a day or two, such as me missing one of my best friend's weddings, interviewing a boring politician, more on moving to Alabama, etc. etc.

Ciao!

No comments: