April 26, 2008

Dreadfully Busy

When I was a kid, I often wondered how adults could be so busy. And then I became an adult (I'm an adult? Geesh), and I'm starting to figure it out.

I used to have days where I'd do nothing at all. Up until recently, I'd have a day where I would do nothing but watch TV and snack. I wouldn't leave the apartment for a full 24 hours, at least. I don't have those days anymore, and I'm trying to figure out if I miss it or not. I'm leaning to not...

The only thing I've added to the ol' schedule recently is the gym, but even trying to get there lately has been a struggle. I had two whole days off last week and I still couldn't get to the gym, and I regret it. I find not that I don't feel 100% without that time on the treadmill. Me! Missing the gym! Is that possible?

The thing about the gym is I have to work a lot harder now to get a workout compared to a couple months ago. I know that's a good thing, but it's starting to take up a lot of time. The first time I went I did 20 minutes on the treadmill on a setting easier than what I do now for a warm-up, one round on the weight circuit, and then another 20 minutes walking. Now I start with 40 minutes on the treadmill, and since I'm still not very fast (always my weak point) I put it on a big incline. Then two rounds on the weights, 15 minutes on the stair thingy, and 20 minutes on the elliptical. But since I haven't been going as often as I was before I may lose some of that... I was going everyday, maybe that's a bit excessive...

Today a friend from school and I hit the library book sale in Dartmouth and then the Saltscapes Expo at Exhibition Park. It was awesome! I guess they're billing it as a "lifestyles" expo. There were exhibitors from various businesses, including home reno people with some kind of twist (enviro friendly, restorative, etc.), gourmet food displays, "unique retailers" (mostly jewellers, crafts people, jam and cheese people), and my personal fav, the vintners peddling they're fruity wines. There were tonnes of free samples, and at the end of the day I had eaten mussels, scallops (soooo good), chicken, salmon, various jams, dips, spicy sauces, and I tried my first oyster (nasty). Oh, and did I mention the wine? There was a lot of wine...

It was a great expo, very professional, very well thought out, well organized, and just enjoyable. The displays were high end, and even the lighting was impressive. Everything was from the Maritimes (each province had it's own section), PEI being my favorite, but NB had the focus this year and they had an excellent section. Anyway, if you're in Halifax tomorrow you should definitely check it out.

I was really impressed with the number of things there are to do in NS, you could definitely fill a summer with interesting day trips, something I'd love to do more often.

As for the rest of the weekend I plan on completing two things, and only two things: gym and church. I think I've found a place I can get attached too, and it's not even Baptist! Grace Chapel is a Brethren church, and I really don't find much difference between the two, other than they do communion every Sunday instead of once a month. The music was good, the energy was good, the speaker (not the pastor) seemed educated... Hopefully I won't be totally disillusioned tomorrow, cuz I don't know where else to go.

Who knew this church thing could be so complicated.

No comments: