July 07, 2006

No Excuses

I know... five days since my last update. There is no acceptable excuse.

Well, other than I don't have a computer at the moment... but I promise to try harder.

Not much going on these days. Just kinda hangin' and workin'. Replace hangin' with sleepin', cuz that's pretty much my cirriculuum vitae of the past week or so. I worked all night Wednesday and arrived home at 8 am Thursday with sugarplums dancing in my head. However, the cat decided that he needed some attention and had my feet for a snack. So no sleep there. I slept for a couple of hours and then went about my day thinking about how tired I was. Went to the mall to enjoy the sales, went home and fell asleep again for a couple of hours.

The problem is I had to be up at 5am this morning to get to work, and I wasn't able to sleep last night because of the napping, and had about 3 hours sleep.

What's that? A tiny violin? Yeah, I thought so...

Boring, I know, but I don't think I'm allowed to talk about my job without getting permission, and for fear of someone finding me and then firing me, I guess I'll just have to find other interesting tid bits to share, like my sleeping habits.

But I will say this. Some youth in care are write-offs. The system is set up for them to fail. Send them to a drug program and then kick them out if they slip up. Send them to special schools but kick them out when they act up. The word is write-off. They will go through the system and then when they're too old for this one they'll get pushed on welfare. In the meantime they're ganging up with other kids in similar situations to find the family bond that is void from their lives...

I don't know how long I'll be here, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something that actually has a positive effect on the lives of youth at risk. I don't think resume workshops and videos about bullying are the trick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn you make me feel so depressed! I hate hearing that these kids aren't being taken care of... I want to adopt them all! I guess above all we just have to know that God can reach anyone, no matter how crappy their lives are. It sounds cliché but it's true.

Good luck with the job hunt! Call me.