March 24, 2007

Why don't you like me?

I try to be like Grace Kelly. But her looks were too sad. So I tried a little Freddie.

It was a natural choice.

Don't worry, that's a song I'm not crazy. Just sleepy. It's a catchy tune too. I bet you'd like it.

So, I have two cats. One is male and one is female. If you've been reading along you'd know that they are about 7-8 months old. Teenagers, in our years. Cats, like teenagers, have hormones, and are deeply intent on fulfilling their purpose in life (making more cats/teenagers).

The difference between cats and teenagers is that unless you're on Passions, a teenager tends to know his or her siblings. Or at least know that you're not supposed to fulfill your life purpose with a sibling. Not so with cats.

Anyway, I'd been putting the phone call to the vet off, and I knew I was pushing the timeline a little. Also, I noticed some changes in Steve's (girl) behaviour. Like most female teenagers, Steve was climbing walls, running through cupboards, scaling doors in a single leap, and tearing my shower curtain to bits. Then Monday, it was obvious that she had gone into what they politely call "heat". But really it just means that she goes absolutely bananas and keeps her over-tired owner awake all hours of the night listening to Lionel Ritchie and Pretty Ricky. While this is happening Hank (boy) hears his call to duty and appears ready and willing to help his sister out. Gross.

Hmm, Lionel Ritchie just came on the radio... Maybe it's a sign... "You are the sun, you are the rain... You need to know that love is slow... You can do it all again and again" Gross.

I called the vet, and they won't change the plumbing until they've had their vaccines. So that happened the very next day. It was the first time I'd ever taken a pet to the vet, so it was quite an exciting adventure. I say exciting mostly because I wasn't the one being poked and prodded with needles.

So I tell the vet that Steve has been acting all teenagery, but that day (Tuesday) she didn't seem so intent on procreation. This is where the vet uses a string of anatomy words that I don't want to know, and concludes with "he bred 'er!" More gross. And since Steve was no longer acting up it meant that they had likely fulfilled their life purpose... wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

The vet said that "given the circumstances" we could schedule the surgery for Friday. Now before you call me a baby killer, just know that it was too early to confirm that anything had been "successful" life purpose wise, and if anything had been "successful" the likely result would have been stupid, heart troubled, and physically deformed. To make matters worse everytime I told this story to some co-workers they accused me of supporting kitty abortion.

Now don't I feel bad enough? The only solace is that there's no way to know for sure... and I don't think the vet would have told me anyway. *sigh* Such trials and tribulations!!!

But I must move on... Hank and Steve both made it through the operations, and I learned from the bloodwork that Steve has been taking in too much salt. The vet said she probably wasn't drinking enough. I thought... nope, it's probably the handfuls of chips and crackers she indulges in (really, she lovey the chippy).

They came home and didn't look to happy with me. Steve didn't know what to do with herself and just stood lopsided on the floor. Hank went into hiding and I didn't see him when I left for work... I'm a little worried...

Alright, a long post about cats no one else cares about... Let's change the topic to.... Scrapbooking!

Carsand Mosher had this big sale with paper and other things 75% off, so I naturally had to fill my boots. And! Tomorrow a few people from work are going to a co-workers house to do some scrapbooking. It'll be a slice because I can use some of those fancy cutter doo-dads that I don't have... yet. Cool, eh?

And now it's 4am. Time for a bagel and some frosted flakes to tide me over.

That is my life in a nutshell. I'm not taking any more shifts this weekend, so it looks like church might happen on Sunday. It's been awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn... Your random cat posts make me miss you! Even if you are pro-kitty-choice. Haha ;P

For some reason the Carsand Mosher that was on Mountain Road closed down. Hmpf.

Shannon Skafte said...

I Love you, and your cats. I just love reading your posts, they are written so well, and I can hear you saying it as I read. FRIG I miss when we all lived in the same city - the same neighborhood... Ok I have to go see you, but i'm not free until Easter - let me know whats' up with you and work!

and I don't think you're a kitten killer, not one bit... ahem