February 13, 2008

Participaction

I don't like to talk about my place of work (other than how I work a lot), due to the confidentiality issues and my employer's sensitivity to publicity. At any rate, this will probably not get me in trouble... probably...

Through my work, my pay check is controlled and influenced by various bureaucratic entities, namely the provincial government and a Union. So far I'm a fan of being in a union, as I'm likely paid a more respectable rate because there is a conglomerate to fight for me. We just signed a new contract and received a new budget, which in turn means I get a raise.

This I like. Additionally, the raise came into effect in April of '07, so once the budget comes in I get a retro check bringing me all up to date. This I like. Plus plus, we now have shift premiums which means $0.50 on top for every hour of night shift I have worked since October.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, it's probably TMI. But essentially what it means is I can go laptop shopping, and I'm very excited about this.

We're not talking windfall here, but enough to get something respectable-ish. I'm not sure what to get... I'm leaning towards an HP, mostly because I don't find the Acer brand particularly attractive (they're both the same price). I'd love to get a Mac, but they're too pricey for me. I'm also excited about the prospect of going in and paying cash for a big ticket item, instead of paying it off over time, or *gasp* saving up.

Now, actually going to the store and purchasing a laptop may take some will, as it's hard for me to go and spend any amount of money on a big purchase. Especially when it could go to many other worthy places such as my student loan. Though that already saps much of my joy as it is, I don't think I should let it take more.

I probably shouldn't talk about money. Isn't that what social convention tells us? It's not like I'm living the life of Riley over here or anything. Is it ok to say that I'm self-satisfied in knowing that I can sustain my life while also working at a *shocker* career I enjoy and actually studied to do? Cuz I'm pretty happy about that, and very grateful, because I know there are a lot of post-students out there who can't say the same thing. And don't worry, I know exactly to Whom I am grateful, as well.

Moving on.

Last year I said I was going to read War and Peace by June 1st. After about 30 pages I gave up, deciding that I didn't want to devote the time required to something I wasn't enjoying. Fortunately I have rekindled my library relationship and I've read a lot of good books lately, most recently "The Kite Runner", which I'm sure you've started reading since my last post.

Unlike last year, my current "resolution" of sorts has continued well into the second month. I haven't had any MacDonald's or fast food of most kinds (I went to Subway twice, a decision forced out of a need for convenience), and no pop. The best part is I'm not even craving it like I thought I would. Pop and fast food mean heart burn and death. That's what I keep telling myself.

And now it's lent, so ice cream (the solver of all problems) and I are now on the outs. In addition to that, I've changed my eating habits in a big way, reducing carbs, simple sugars, upping the veggie and fruit intake and reducing fats and sodium. I won't pat myself on the back just yet, as it's only been about a week. But already I can tell a difference, and I have way more energy than normal. I have lots stacked against me: I'm a shiftworker, and a poor family history (lots of cancer, heart and brain issues). Let's just see how long this lasts, shall we?

This week a friend and I are joining the gym, which means I get to buy new sneakers. Wahoo!

No comments: